We want you to collaborate on the next generation of open data tools to help society move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goals. Through this Presidential Hackathon, you will be able to:
Propel your innovation ambitions.
Get dedicated support in advancing your innovation. Create actionable data, analysis and tools through a dedicated programme of activities and technical support that will help you achieve your ambitious sustainable development goals.
Learn globally, change locally.
Become a change agent in the open development space. Learn from global innovators and practitioners on what works and which mistakes to avoid in generating, analysing and prototyping data for SDGs.
Join a community of innovators.
Connect with experienced peers who have led successful innovation projects and overcome similar challenges. Be part of an active community and network that can help change global, regional and national norms.
Who can apply?
Anyone can apply. We encourage teams from academia, business, civil society, government, media, or a combination of roles. What matters is that you have an open data vision for solving a specific problem, whether it is at the regional, national or sub-national level.
Your team should consist of 3-5 members. Successful teams will consist of at least three key roles:
A Bureaucracy Navigator who understands how government systems, processes and reforms work.
A Technical Navigator who can navigate data or build tools; and
A Partnership Builder who can navigate and build buy-in to influence change in stakeholders, but does not have to be from the government.
For teams planning to
- Generate open data (e.g. OCDS/OC4IDS data), you will need a developer who can combine multiple sources and create JSON data;
- Analyse open data (e.g. OCDS/OC4IDS data), you will need a data analyst with data cleaning and analysis skills;
- Prototype, you will need a developer who can build the target product on top of your chosen open data (e.g. OCDS/OC4IDS data) and/or tools.
Win the final pitch invitation and more
Make your project sparkle in Taiwan! Prizes for winning teams include:
- Travel arrangements and reimbursement
- The opportunity to present you live demo in the Taiwan Presidential Office.
- An invitation from the Taiwanese government for future collaboration.
Open Contracting Bounty (provided by OCP)
The Organizer reserves the right to alter the format of the Grand Final, award and prizes at any time without prior notice to the participants, in which case they will make reasonable effort to inform the participants prior to the date of the event.
- Post-hackathon strategic & technical Helpdesk support for OCDS/OC4IDS teams.
- An invitation to showcase your project at future OCP global events.
Terms of travel reimbursement
- Round-trip tickets will be reimbursed up to US$7,000 on Economy Class for each team (up to five members.) The exchange rate will be based on the date of ticket purchase.
- If the tickets or boarding passes show that the flights depart from and arrive at different airports, the amount reimbursed will be based on the fare from the origin to Taiwan and back.
- Upon arrival in Taiwan, each member shall submit one’s ticket payment receipt/certificate of ticket issuance and the (outbound) boarding pass(es) to the organizer, sign relevant papers and complete the withholding tax procedure in accordance with the laws of Taiwan. Within seven calendar days of return from Taiwan, the (inbound) boarding pass(es) must be posted or scanned back to the organizer, who will then review the documents and transfer the reimbursement to the bank account (no more than one) designated by the team.
Start your application here